Your 50 First Pages
The start of your book is critical. These are the pages a reader – as well as an agent or editor – will review to decide if they want to continue reading. As a coach, I can tell a lot about your book from its opening pages. I will evaluate your manuscript opening for premise, clear POV and initial character development and conflict, matching of genre expectations, writing technique, and more.
You will submit:
- A complete project intake questionnaire,
- A one-page book summary,
- The first 50 pages of your manuscript (or up to 12,500 words),
- An editorial letter highlighting your pages strengths and weaknesses and offering suggestions for next steps.
- Inline comments on (at least) the first ten (10) pages to show how the points in the editorial letter are showing up on the page.
- One 45-minute follow up Zoom call to discuss the feedback, your thoughts, and create an actionable next step plan
- Additional exercises or recommendations where needed to clarify character arcs (backstory and motivations), narrative drive, and more.
This assessment is a great way to learn if your novel is on track as well as if book coaching might be right for you going forward.